Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My very own blog

So with the whirlwind of Tweets and the growing #stir movement, my hand has been forced.
For years I have lurked and said to myself, "someday...someday, I will start my own blog, I will make my voice heard." I took a step in that direction a few years back and started my own podcast, Rod's Planet, which gave me a chance to creatively go off about whatever was up my craw that day. But, I found out quickly that it is easy to put out a podcast, but to put out a podcast that lived up to my standards took more work than I had time for. That show was recently resurrected when I met the mastermind behind Podcast Stockton who gave me a gentle shove back into the frey. Several semesters at Delta College and an Internet sports business later, I still felt media starved. Which leads me here....a blog.
If you will permit me, a quick bio so those of you new to me get to know the man behind the rants. (A full bio as well as fun extras can be found on my website) My name is Rod and I was born March 15th at the good old San Joaquin General Hospital. My years of schooling all took place in the Lincoln Unified School District ending in as a Trojan Alum in 1994. After graduation I departed for the Army and spent the next ten years in service to my Uncle Sam (I really have one of those, but it wasn't him). In all of those years I would brag to those not in the know, how great California was and how I very much wanted to get back to the best state in the Union. In October of 2004 I finally put my money where my mouth was and divorced from the military, packed my duffel bag and moved home to Stockton.
My secret passion growing up was sports broadcasting and my mission upon departure from the Army was to be an ESPN Sportscenter anchor. I didn't do much to accomplish that task my first year back and found myself taking a couple of jobs that had nothing to do with sports or broadcasting. Very much tired of my lack of direction, I signed up for an education at Delta College. It was in the first week of school and in one of my first classes, Comm St 1A (Speech) that I was set on my path.
A very helpful instructor, Mrs. Manos, made a call to Dirk Kooyman, program director for 99.3 KJOY and set up a meeting. I walked in to Dirk's office pretty much off the street and left with a job in their promotions department. I held that position for the better part of three years when I took an ill-advised break to sell video games. After realizing the error of my ways, I came back to Citadel and expanded my role to include a stint as street team with KWIN, even making it on-air midnight-6am and Saturday nights. I also had the honor of working as producer for Alexia, which is where I left Citadel in pursuit of my own business.
Valley Sports Network was born out of the extreme lack of good coverage of Stockton area... well anything. For years we have been this media red-headed stepchild of Sacramento and unless something earth shatteringly bad happens, they leave us uncovered. I vowed to single handedly change that and put Stockton sports on the map. The economy forced me to put that idea on ice.
The nerd in me would not allow me to sit idly though and I became curious about the concept of social media. Facebook helped me get in touch with long lost Army friends and became my "gateway drug" into the heavier apps. I started seeing "RT" pop up in my friends Facebook status updates and wondered what they were saying... that led to Twitter.
As I dove into the all-consuming world that is tweeting, several new worlds opened up and now here I sit joining the Stockton blog scene. Now I find myself smack dab in the middle of this new revolution where the Stockton social media enthusiast are banding together to try and turn this town on its ear. I am excited to be a part and look forward to what may come from this experiment. In blogs to come, I will talk more in depth as to what I think needs to be done to expand this initial idea, and how we can claim Stockton as our own and decide for ourselves what the rest of the country thinks about us. To stick it to the Forbes and others that have "sealed" our fate as a city.
This is step one for me... nice to meet you all....

1 comment:

  1. Good one on"My very own blog".And I would like to say that I'm living my dream of owning my own business and working from home earning equally or more than the regular jobs by using http://debtfreeliving.ownanewbusiness.com.

    Thanks,
    John- Own a new business

    ReplyDelete